Tuesday, October 9, 2012

2012.09.29 - Day 9 (Bergen to Stockholm)

Bergen to Stockholm consisted of some fun flight connections. First I had to fly from Bergen to Oslo where I then had a layover. From Oslo, I had to fly to Helsinki, Finland despite the fact that Stockholm is actually closer. Then finally from Helsinki, I flew to Stockholm, my final destination. Because I was so last minute with some of these bookings, I had to settle for the cheapest flights I could get even if they were inconvenient :-).

In Stockholm, I rented an apartment for the week using airbnb.com. I figured this would be a cheaper alternative to hotels allowing me to not only do laundry :-), but to live more like a local. I found a good deal on an apartment in the "posh" neighborhood of Ostermalm in Stockholm. The woman renting the apartment listed her place on airbnb.com and I rented it the same day. I think she was a bit shocked that it had rented so quickly.

Anyway, when I finally arrived in Stockholm, I took a bus (which was like 1/3 the cost of the ~$40 train, but only double the time). When I got to the Central Station in Stockholm, I took the metro to the closest stop to the apartment that I could find. When I got out of the metro, I wandered around a bit trying to find which way to go. After traveling all day, I was getting cranky and just wanted to find the apartment so I could settle in. To make matters worse, it started raining. I still had not been able to get my international data plan to work on my phone, so I was pretty helpless and had to search the old fashion way. After 20 minutes of looking and now really wet, I finally found the place.

After settling in, taking a nap and cooking my dinner, I was going to meet out with a couple friends who I knew who lived in Stockholm at a nightclub. Long story short, I never ended up meeting out with them (partly because of the lack of being able to communicate with my phone) and I ended up at this nightclub called Zipper in a neighborhood called Kungsholmen alone (which I also couldn't find right way and spent 20-30 minutes trying to find by just wandering around). Fortunately, I found a friendly local Swede who had studied at Washington University in St. Louis who made the night not a complete loss. Taking a taxi back to the apartment, I was finally able to end a long day of travel and local orientation :-).

Living Room Picture of Apartment I stayed in in Stockholm

More apartment


...only one more

...last one :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment