Tuesday, October 2, 2012

2012.09.24 - Day 4 (Oslo, Norway to Tromsø, Norway)

So Day 4 of the trip was spent traveling via plane from Oslo to a city in the very north of Norway in the Arctic circle called Tromsø (pronounced something like Trumsuh). Flying over Norway to the north was quite spectacular. Seeing all the fjords below was breathtaking. The reason for flying to Tromsø were two-fold: 1. Tromsø is a good city to see the Northern Lights when they are happening and 2. My great-grandfather was from a city about 3-4 hours south of Tromsø called Narvik. Since Tromsø is the largest city in Norway in the Arctic Circle, I was going to start there and try to make my way to Narvik to at least see it (I ended up not going to Narvik, but that's another story that I'll save for later).

When I arrived in Tromsø, I took a bus to my hotel aptly named the "Viking Hotel." From there, I walked around (including walking over their long bridge as the city center of Tromsø is on an island), took some pictures and then found a quaint restaurant on the water to have dinner. Here is where I tried reindeer for the first time. It tasted like beef to me :-).

I called it an early night and went back to the hotel where I caught up on blogging (the blogs from days 0-3 were written then...I'm really behind now and writing Day 4 notes on Day 11 in Stockholm :-( )

Mountains in the distance from the island that Tromso sits on

Tromso is mostly on one island, but also has some residences on the mainland; View of mainland from the island.

Tromso harbor views

Views of the surrounding areas from the Tromso Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment