Tuesday, October 2, 2012

2012.09.26 - Day 6 (Tromsø to Bergen)

No pictures to share on Day 6 as I spent most of it traveling. Since I was kind of planning the trip on the fly, I had to make a decision as to whether or not to try to go to the Norwegian town of Narvik where my great grandfather was from. I was told there was a 3 hour boat ride from Tromsø that went to another city called Harstad. From Harstad, I could take an hour bus ride to Narvik. However, from Narvik, I had to somehow get to my third and final city in Norway called Bergen. Narvik was a bit out of the way and the only realistic option was to fly. However, it wasn't a cheap flight as you had to connect in different cities to get from point A to B. I sadly finally had to make the decision that seeing Narvik would not be practical. As Narvik is a small city, there isn't much to do there anyway. I was only going to go to basically see where my ancestors were from.

On Day 6, I had an early flight that would take me from Tromsø to Bodø to Trondheim (Norway's third largest city). In Trondheim, I would have a three hour layover before flying to Bergen. All the last minute planning made the flights expensive and inconvenient. Oh well, such is life...although I'm trying to be better about at least planning things a few days out now.

When I finally arrived in Bergen, I took the airport bus to as close to where I was staying as possible. From there, I walked about 10 minutes to an apartment I had rented. Since Norway was quickly blowing my budget, I was finding any way to bring costs down. Therefore, instead of staying at a hotel, I found a bed and breakfast type accommodation with a kitchen so I could cook some of my meals. It was outside of the city center, but still close enough to walk.

After dropping my bags off at the b&b, I walked around Bergen a bit until I found a restaurant (something with the name Opera in it). I soon realized that I was liking Bergen better than I had liked Oslo. After dinner and some more walking around, I retreated back to my b&b to get some much needed rest after a long day of travels.






No comments:

Post a Comment